It’s that time again; AMERIND’s annual National Safety Poster Contest is ready for Membership participation. Every Housing Authority or TDHE sponsors a Poster Contest locally in support of their children’s efforts.
This year AMERIND is changing the theme from ‘Fire Safety’ to all Safety. Any type of Safety themed poster will be accepted this year. We still highly encourage Fire Safety posters to be submitted but we also want to promote other safety issues. This year’s winners will receive a $2,000 savings bond in his or her name! Information regarding the Safety Poster Contest has been sent to the elementary schools on the Northern Cheyenne Reservation, which include Lame Deer Public School and Northern Cheyenne Tribal Schools.
Some ideas could be:
- Install smoke alarms on each level of your home and outside of sleeping areas and test them monthly.
- Make sure there are two clear exits from each room and that everyone knows these escape routes and has practiced using them.
- Never smoke when drowsy or when you’re in bed. Use sturdy, non-tip ashtrays and check for smoldering cigarette butts in furniture – especially after parties.
- Douse butts and ashes with water before discarding them.
- Never leave cooking food unattended. Keep cooking areas clean and clear of combustibles.
- Use all space heaters with care. Keep them at least 36” away from combustibles.
- Have your wood stove, chimney and central-heating system maintained, cleaned regularly and inspected annually.
- Plug only one heat-producing appliance into an electrical outlet.
- Never override or bypass fuses or circuit breakers.
- Avoid running extension cords across doorways or under carpets.
- Store matches and lighters up high out of sight, out of reach of little hands / children.
- Use only child-resistant lighters.
- Never use or store gasoline inside your home.
- If necessary, keep a small quantity in an approved safety container locked in an outdoor shed.
- Store paints, thinners, and other flammable liquids in their original containers, well away from heat, sparks or flame.
- Keep papers neatly stacked and bundled, or in boxes.
- Identify your house with large address numbers that the fire department can see easily.
The Acquisitions staff would like to inform the public of the Safety Poster Contest 2009, thanks to the Northern Cheyenne Tribal Schools for their participation in the Fire Safety Poster contest 2009. We had 72 participants this year and they all did very well. Each participant will receive certificates and incentive prizes for participating.
Safety is no accident!
The Acquisitions Department has applications available for Home Insurance through the Amerind Risk Management Corporation, interested Home Buyers, please contact Colleen Spang at the Housing office at 406-477-6419, ext. 103.