REQUEST FOR PROPOSAL
FOR GENERAL LEGAL SERVICES
NORTHERN CHEYENNE TRIBAL HOUSING AUTHORITY
P.O. BOX 327
LAME DEER, MONTANA 59043
Opening Date: April 14, 2014
Closing Date: May 14, 2014
The Northern Cheyenne Tribal Housing Authority is seeking proposals for a twenty-four (24) month General Legal Services Contract from July 2014 through June 2016.
The Contractor shall provide legal services to the Northern Cheyenne Tribal Housing Authority (NCTHA) on an as-needed basis. NCTHA administers numerous housing maintenance and construction programs for eligible tribal members and families on the Northern Cheyenne Indian Reservation. NCTHA is a Tribally Designated Housing Entity established by Northern Cheyenne Tribal Ordinance No. 3(77) and Resolution No. 175 (97).
The Contractor shall be a standing member of any State Court Bar within the United States, as well as a member of the Northern Cheyenne Tribal Court Bar. Contractor shall provide all legal services NCTHA requires in connection with the management of its existing programs, projects and facilities, and in connection with its pending and contemplated future projects, development programs, and in connection with all of its dealings, properties, leases, assignments, finances, and all other matters, actions, programs and activities in which it may become involved.
Contractors that successfully submit a complete proposal shall be evaluated based on a points-based scoring system listed below.
1. Experience rendering written and oral opinions. 15 points
2. Experience preparing and reviewing real estate and all other contracts Leases, assignments, conveyances and similar documents applicable to the operation of an affordable housing provider. 15 points
3. Experience appearing before administrative forums and tribal courts. 10 points
4. Experience processing collection and eviction actions. 10 points
5. Experience applying Federal law and regulations relating to the operation of Indian Housing in areas such as procurement, construction and employment law, and low income housing programs. 10 points
6. Experience applying Indian Law and tribal codes in areas such as Tribal landlord and tenant codes, civil court procedures, tribal Jurisdiction, real property and employment. 10 points
7. Ability to provide legal counsel and to appear personally on short Notice at local tribal court, Housing Authority offices or administrative forums located on or near N.C.T.H.A. office. 10 points
8. Indian Preference (must provide valid proof/certification with proposal) 10 points
9. Experience with NAHASDA 10 points
The Northern Cheyenne Tribal Housing Authority adheres to the Indian Preference set forth in 24 CFR 1000.52 Indian Preference. The particular section can be found at 24 CFR 85.36 Methods of Procurement. Proposals will be accepted from Non-Indian owned contractors.
Each Contractor is required to be certified by the Tribal Employment Rights Office (TERO) prior to submitting a bid in accordance with the Northern Cheyenne TERO Ordinance. To receive an application for certification and information on TERO please write to: Director, Tribal Employment Rights Office, P.O. 308, Lame Deer, MT 59043 or phone 406-477-6287, and you will be directed to the appropriate personnel to assist you.
Proposals must be in written format and mailed or submitted to the address below by close of the business day May 14, 2014. Late or faxed proposals will be rejected. Proposals must include an hourly rate for legal services and be inclusive of all overhead and expenses. Minor expenses incurred in the performance of services may be reimbursed at the discretion of the Executive Director. NCTHA reserves the right to accept or reject any or all proposals and to waive any informality in the proposal received, consistent with the Regulations. The successful Contractor can expect to be notified shortly thereafter.
For questions regarding proposal requirements, please contact the NCTHA Executive Director Lafe Haugen at (406) 477-4307.
Please submit by mail or personal delivery (faxes will be rejected) two copies of the proposal to:
Lafe Haugen, Executive Director
Northern Cheyenne Tribal Housing Authority
P.O. Box 327
Lame Deer, Montana 59043